Thursday, June 18, 2009

La Floresta

Today I visited el comedor, La Floresta, where I will be working. Valeria came with me to make sure I got off at the appropriate bus stop (its quite a long ride) and to introduce me to the people there. I met a few of the mothers who regularly run the kitchen, as well as the kids who regularly show up. I met about 7 kids total.

After we left, I asked Valeria what past volunteers had done. The comedor had a room to eat in, as well as a three-wall classroom for the kids. The classroom was enclosed in a gate, with a lock. One volunteer had bought the gate after she had bought lots of supplies for the kids, and the next day they were all gone. Within the room are shelves of books that had been donated. The wall is covered with basic English phrases, as well as the primary colors, and the days of the week. There were unopened boxes of tables that another volunteer had brought. This girl from Ireland had done some fundraising prior to coming and had a lot of money—so she bought tables.

Valeria explained that not many volunteers came through here, and each one did something a little different. Most taught some English. One boy tried to teach the mothers English while they were cooking, but otherwise the mothers stay out of it. They play games with the kids, use coloring books, and paint. But most of all, said Valeria, they just let the kids do their own thing. Thus, they don’t accomplish very much. Since volunteers don’t come regularly it’s impossible to keep a schedule. Kids normally only show up when they know a volunteer will be there. One guy came and was very strict, and the kids behaved, but otherwise it is hard to keep order with so many kids running around, especially when it is only one volunteer.

It is all a little intimidating, but I have a few ideas and I have until Monday to work out my game plan.

Goal #1: Get to know the kids and capitalize on their interests—otherwise they won’t care, behave, or pay attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment