Saturday, June 20, 2009

No rigging here?

There are elections coming up for Diputado Nacional (I think it’s similar to a House Representative). Election day is June 28th. You can’t walk around town without seeing hundreds of flyers for various candidates. After watching advertisements on television, I’ve taken note of at least 5 different candidates. I asked Valeria about the popularity of each candidate. She couldn’t explain one thing about any of them. She said no one knows anything, and no one ever knows who to vote for. It almost seems as convoluted as so many American politicians.

The advertisements only talk about hope, life, “knowing” what’s right, and some candidates have marketed “do it for Salta.” What are they actually hoping to change? Valeria said there is always one candidate from a working-class party, and she’ll just vote for them, even though they never win. Then who votes? At least in Salta, I feel as though a majority of the population is the working class…maybe it is rigged.

The only advertisement I have seen that seems to send a message is about the importance of voting. Two teenagers talk about how someone can cause change, and do so by voting. I had to see this ad a few times before I realized that it was actually for ANOTHER candidate. I guess they didn’t quite get the candidate’s message across to vote for him, but I could see it might motivate some viewers to take advantage of their right to vote in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment