Thursday, July 23, 2009

Synonyms for Wimp

Some people may have considered me a wimp today. But I like to think the terms “logical,” “realistic,” and “smart” are a better choice of words.

The wind has spoken. Today was stinkin’ cold. I knew it would be rough today, so I had leggings, pants, soccer socks, and four layers on top in addition to my jacket, gloves, scarf, and hat. I thought I was prepared. I was wrong. And I flaked out pretty early...

I got to el comedor earlier in order to stop by at least two houses today, instead of just one, which is what normally happens. With only today and tomorrow left to paint tiles, I want to let as many more kids as possible have the opportunity. Luckily I had met a mother yesterday who had offered her house, since Mari’s choice had fallen through.

I did make it to two houses and we painted 15 more tiles, but I was back at el comedor by 1pm (normally I don’t get back until 2:30 or 3). I could barely feel my legs, much less my fingers or nose. While I had painted with the kids inside of the houses, protection from the outdoors is minimal, and both families kept the door wide open—allowing in the freezing cold wind.

At el comedor I stood in front of the open fires to defrost, but as soon as I had finished eating and the cooking had stopped (which meant the fires were dead) I left. I felt a little guilty for leaving for early, but I got my daily tile work done and there was NO way I was gonna stand in the open air and freeze my ass off just to save face (what "face" I'm not really sure...).

On another note, I finally have a worker! It’s not Mari’s son since it turned out he wasn’t going to be able to help at all. So instead I have a very nice older man to help me out. We start next Monday at 11am sharp. And I only have about 30 more tiles to paint with the kids and I’ll be set and ready to paste! And I have two more houses scheduled to visit tomorrow.

I think we’ll be more than fine with a full week to make sure everything is done perfectly. Valeria is even coming on Monday to make sure things get started correctly. I’m getting really excited and I think the cooks are getting curious too. One mother even came into the classroom today when I returned from painting to look at all the tiles and ask when I was starting.

Also, today I got another look at just how poor this neighborhood is. Amalia came and set up a table for what appeared to be “registration” for the neighborhood’s residents. As each individual came to pick up food for their family, they had to write down their name, date of birth, D.N.I. (identity number), and sign their name. The first old man didn’t know how to read, write, or sign his name, so they used his fingerprint as a signature. In addition, as each family member gave the appropriate information, their “gift” for registering was a Lays bag of potato chips for each member of the family. I guess I had become so accustomed to the initial shock that the lunch meal is often all a family eats in a day, but that being given a small bag of potato chips is a luxury brings this neighborhood’s poverty full circle.

No comments:

Post a Comment